Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Using planer boards from shore
07-14-2013, 07:48 PM (This post was last modified: 07-14-2013 07:50 PM by Dean Moriarty.)
I'm heading to northern MI for a few days next week. I'll be fishing for lake run Browns, rainbows, kings, and possibly some steelhead. It's too early in the year for the steelhead where I'll be, but the browns are world class. The lake run browns and kings will be on Lake MI and lower Manistee, specifically I'll target location 3 in 40'-200' of water....

I also plan to hit Pere Marquette river and the upper Manistee River for browns and rainbow. Maybe I'll get lucky and catch a northern too. My question is, does anyone have experience river fishing with planer boards? I'll be purchasing a cple for the big lake fishing and have debated getting mini planers to use on both the big lake and rivers. Part of the river fishing will be done with waders but both rivers have wider, faster sections that may fish well with a planer setup.

Thoughts???
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-14-2013, 07:51 PM
Re: Using planet boards from shore
A buddy of mine from PA was up in Lake Ontario this weekend. Caught a couple nice fish. One was a 27 pound salmon.
07-15-2013, 11:48 AM
RE: Using planer boards from shore
Never even heard of using planers from shore so I can't help you there, but have logged a lot of time chasing big water trout.

As far as big browns it is hard to beat large shiners drifted with light weight. A whole nightcrawler hooked just once thru the "collar" will do quite well also.
Big browns sometimes like to "hunt" at night so if you can don't be afraid to fish late.

Rainbows will hit almost anything. Something that isn't well known but works very well is a small 1/2" cube of Velveeta cheese.

If the drift isn't too fast don't be afraid to use a small "willow" float. Just enough to keep you out of snags and keep the bait in the fishes strike zone.

As far as lures. Most anything will/can work. Spinners like roostertails and mepps work well as do spoons like little cleo's and super dupers.
I never fished many plugs for trout, but I would imagine that rapallas, rebbels, or yozuris would do well at times.

Good luck, and let us know how you do.
Mitch

Mitch

[Image: bug_zpsb069bc6b.gif]
07-15-2013, 12:04 PM (This post was last modified: 07-15-2013 12:05 PM by Rallen.)
If the water is flowing fast enough a planer should work - they only work on a lake/still body of water because they are being pulled/trolled/towed. In theory shouldn't the current pull them out to your desired area if there is a current.
07-15-2013, 04:31 PM (This post was last modified: 07-15-2013 04:50 PM by Tonto.)
Rallen is correct; have used them in the New River years ago...old dude told me to do a set up w/out a bait to practice, he used a 12' surf rod, longest I've used was a 10'. Never did catch anything the few times I tried it, but it works (used poagy baits)...used them on my boats, caught a ton of fish...topwater baits can be used w/ them also...I still have a couple of Offshore planers, & maybe a couple of Yellow Birds I may part w/...maybe...

***Hazey, if I can find them in all my crap I've got stored, I'll sell them to you reasonable; new they're about $30 or so for the 12s, birds are foam & cheaper...may have some clips etc also I'll throw in...

Iron Lotus fan...
07-15-2013, 07:59 PM
(07-15-2013 04:31 PM)Tonto Wrote:  Rallen is correct; have used them in the New River years ago...old dude told me to do a set up w/out a bait to practice, he used a 12' surf rod, longest I've used was a 10'. Never did catch anything the few times I tried it, but it works (used poagy baits)...used them on my boats, caught a ton of fish...topwater baits can be used w/ them also...I still have a couple of Offshore planers, & maybe a couple of Yellow Birds I may part w/...maybe...

***Hazey, if I can find them in all my crap I've got stored, I'll sell them to you reasonable; new they're about $30 or so for the 12s, birds are foam & cheaper...may have some clips etc also I'll throw in...

Appreciate the thought and I'd like to take you up on it, but I'm leaving tomorrow and won't have time to meet or ship. I'll either purchase them in a local shop up there or stop at one of the cabelas on the way there.

Been wanting to try it for several years. I've seen a few guys do it, but didn't bother to ask about the details, ie line weight/planer size/rigs for different species etc. It's nice because you can keep your lure/bait in the target area...around structure or ledges.
07-15-2013, 08:00 PM
I only use em, spanish mackerel fish'n ..... troll'n #2's @ 6 knots

[Image: runningcatahoula.gif] [Image: deerrunning.gif]
07-16-2013, 08:46 AM
(07-15-2013 08:00 PM)Bay Beagle Wrote:  I only use em, spanish mackerel fish'n ..... troll'n #2's @ 6 knots

I thought "target" trolling speed was 3-4 knots?
07-16-2013, 08:50 AM
3 to 4 knots will fill your boat up w/bluefish - gott'a go fast to catch spanish, and leave the bluefish behind

[Image: runningcatahoula.gif] [Image: deerrunning.gif]
07-16-2013, 08:55 AM
(07-16-2013 08:50 AM)Bay Beagle Wrote:  3 to 4 knots will fill your boat up w/bluefish - gott'a go fast to catch spanish, and leave the bluefish behind

Gotcha. Makes sense.