Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Virginia Deer Hunters Association
12-22-2011, 11:18 AM
RE: Virginia Deer Hunters Association
(12-22-2011 10:08 AM)Iraqandback03 Wrote:  http://www.roanoke.com/outdoors/billcoch.../wb/302671
A statement made from the VDHA (VIRGINA DEER HUNTERS ASSOCIATION) released today that they have never taken a position against Sunday hunting, but they do publish the results of their survey.
I do question this statement because in the summer of 2010 the X president, "Tex" Sadler did say in an interview that Virginia hunters didn't want Sunday hunting. It was intoned that he was speaking for the VDHA (not the VaHDA).
Quote taken from a news article in August of 2010 "But Sunday hunting does not have a consensus among hunters. Within a sport that attracts many who value tradition, change can be a tough sell. Sledd said there is a divide between northern and southern Virginia, with northern hunters in favor of Sunday hunting. The Virginia Deer Hunters Association does not endorse any legislation allowing Sunday hunting because many of their members like the “day of rest” concept. “A lot of people in the Bible-belt feel that this is the worst thing we could do,” said Tex Sadler, president of the Virginia Deer Hunters Association."
Tex is not the President any longer...
Sure sounds like a position to me.

AGREED... it does sound like a position... cause the exec director and vp
have both stated that the VDHA will NEVER support SH no matter what their surveys say... so it does sound like a position.. ANTI !
Quote this message in a reply
12-22-2011, 11:25 AM
(12-22-2011 11:18 AM)Alex G. Wrote:  AGREED... it does sound like a position... cause the exec director and vp
have both stated that the VDHA will NEVER support SH no matter what their surveys say... so it does sound like a position.. ANTI !

Is the VP you reference Kevin Carroll?

Legalize Virginia Sunday Hunting for All
http://www.facebook.com/groups/vasundayhunting4all/
The change in the law that we seek
would not say you MUST hunt on Sunday.

"Do or do not, there is no try." - Yoda
Find all posts by this user
12-22-2011, 11:30 AM
(12-22-2011 11:25 AM)Iraqandback03 Wrote:  
(12-22-2011 11:18 AM)Alex G. Wrote:  AGREED... it does sound like a position... cause the exec director and vp

Is the VP you reference Kevin Carroll?

yes... he stated that on the FB page and got many many replies... which is why he doesnt post there or respond anymore
12-22-2011, 12:20 PM
Here is a statement they sent to Bill Cochran about their letter:

", the VDHA board informed me when they made the statement that I have printed on Bill Cochran's Mailbag, http://www.billcochran.com, that they would not get into a back and forth argument over the Sunday hunting issue, that the statement was final. "

So they make a statement and will not try to defend it. Yep sounds just like another closely named "hunting" organization. They can not defend the statements they make or those made by their previous elected officials.
12-22-2011, 12:49 PM (This post was last modified: 12-22-2011 12:50 PM by tugrivercopper.)

(Keep in mind i dont know anything about VDHA and have never been a member and dont know as much about them as ya'll)

But this isn't necessarly true......Juts beacuse they are the head of an organization doesnt mean they cant have personal opinions as well. Like this website for example the website as a whole is not against or for hunting with dogs, or against or for sunday hunting. But myself and Neal do have personal opinions about each, That we can state, but it doesnt necessarly mean this whole website as a group agrees with that

[Image: fb_zps2105ddfd.gif]

Let me tell you of the days of High Adventure.....Mako
Chigger Free since 1977..................................Tug

22 25acp 20gauge 28 gauge 12 gauge 410 gauge 30-06
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-22-2011, 02:49 PM
(12-22-2011 12:49 PM)tugrivercopper Wrote:  
(Keep in mind i dont know anything about VDHA and have never been a member and dont know as much about them as ya'll)
But this isn't necessarly true......Juts beacuse they are the head of an organization doesnt mean they cant have personal opinions as well. Like this website for example the website as a whole is not against or for hunting with dogs, or against or for sunday hunting. But myself and Neal do have personal opinions about each, That we can state, but it doesnt necessarly mean this whole website as a group agrees with that

Noted Tug and I cant disagree with what you said the way you said it... But when they speak for the org and not as Tug or Neal, (just examples) then they represent the org... ie
"Our members are for the Sunday Hunting ammendment 55 to 45 percent, but the VDHA does not support Sunday Hunting and believe sundays are a day of rest".
12-22-2011, 02:57 PM
(12-22-2011 02:49 PM)Alex G. Wrote:  
(12-22-2011 12:49 PM)tugrivercopper Wrote:  

Noted Tug and I cant disagree with what you said the way you said it... But when they speak for the org and not as Tug or Neal, (just examples) then they represent the org... ie
"Our members are for the Sunday Hunting ammendment 55 to 45 percent, but the VDHA does not support Sunday Hunting and believe sundays are a day of rest".

yes i agree, they need to be specific whether they are speaking for themselves or for their orginization.....like u say i think they are speaking for themselves with their organization though Wink

[Image: fb_zps2105ddfd.gif]

Let me tell you of the days of High Adventure.....Mako
Chigger Free since 1977..................................Tug

22 25acp 20gauge 28 gauge 12 gauge 410 gauge 30-06
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-22-2011, 03:00 PM
Thanks guys for all the info. Very interesting. I don't know much about any of these organizations. From reading all the threads and links I have learned a lot. I agree with Tug here. It seems like some of these people are speaking for themselves and using the organization for backing even if that is not how the whole group feels.
12-22-2011, 08:44 PM (This post was last modified: 12-22-2011 11:34 PM by Iraqandback03.)
This is what Kevin Carroll, VP at VDHA said on the facebook page. He has given a fair shake at helping me make an argument to the members in their magazine Whitetail Times and we have had a long discussion about SH. He is trying to make a difference and doing so publically. (when he mentions SB 868 that was the farm bureau's attempt to lower the kill permit restrictions not SH)

Taken from the Facebook page "Legalize Virginia Sunday Hunting for All":

Matt,
I have been following your Facebook Page with great interest since its inception. I want to say as a hunter I applaud your efforts to change this long standing tradition of not hunting on Sundays. Speaking strictly for myself I have always believed in individual freedom and the right to voice your opinion under the first amendment of the Bill of Rights. As a police officer I have defended the Constitution of the United States and Virginia for the last twenty five years. I would like to clarify for the record a few misconceptions that have been represented on this page. For the record, I was the representative of the Virginia Deer Hunters Association that spoke against the passage of Senate Bill 868. Ward Burton and I were the only two people who were allowed to speak against the Bill in the House Agriculture hearing. I do not believe that Wilmer Stoneman was too pleased with the Virginia Deer Hunters Association after I spoke against his bill. The Virginia Deer Hunters Association has a long standing record of supporting hunting in the Commonwealth of Virginia. That is why this organization which was was founded in 1984 was started. The Virginia Deer Hunters Association is starting the process of sending out our annual hunting survey to our members to get their opinion on this very important hunting issue.

Our organizational leadership values the opinion of its members and we will support this issue if our members want us to. Speaking for myself I have hunted in many states that allow Sunday Hunting. I have in fact hunted on Sunday in Tennessee and Rhode Island. I will most definately hunt on Sundays in Virginia if the law is changed. I am not sure why other hunting organizations would be against this issue. I do understand why non-hunters would be against this. Hunting is the only restricted activity on Sundays in the Commonwealth of Virginia. Yet all of the public natural resources are supported mostly by hunters.

With 8,001,024 (2010 Census Data) people living in the Commonwealth of Virginia the members of the General Assembly have a large community to consider when making changes to this law. In an article by the NRA titled Hunting License Sales Turning Around (http://www.nrahuntersrights.org/Article.aspx?id=4713) it is quoted as estimating hunting licenses issued as 245,185 in 2010. This is a far cry short of the population. Having 2176 members of this page including myself is fantastic, however agian this number is very small even in comparison to the amount of hunting licenses issued in 2010. I think the word needs to spread accross the Commonwealth and more people need to join you on this facebook page if they share your vision. A stronger argument can be made to your position by increasing the members that you represent.

We are polling our members to get their opinion. If our membership expresses the majority opinion that they do not support Sunday hunting are we supposed to ignor them? Should we ostricice them for having a different opinion? I certainly dont think so. Things are not always as they seem. I have learned not to rush to judgement in my life. Especially just because someone sits next to someone or talks to soomeone.

I do hope you are considering a booth at the upcoming fall classic hunt show. It would raise awareness and you could conduct your own survey of hunters that attend the show. You could also encourage people to join your facebook page and contact their Delegate or Senator on this issue. At this time I am only speaking for myself and not for the Virginia Deer Hunters Association.
Thanks for what you are trying to do.
Kevin P. Carroll
Vice President of the Virginia Deer Hunters Association
Legislative Chairman of the Fraternal Order of Police of Virginia

Legalize Virginia Sunday Hunting for All
http://www.facebook.com/groups/vasundayhunting4all/
The change in the law that we seek
would not say you MUST hunt on Sunday.

"Do or do not, there is no try." - Yoda
12-23-2011, 01:15 PM (This post was last modified: 12-23-2011 01:16 PM by Jim R.)
Quite frankly, I could care less that the actual number of hunters is small in comparison to the rest of the population. There are many laws and regs that address specific behaviour that the majority of people are against but in the spririt of fairness and the common good, are indeed law. The question of allowing hunting to take place on Sundays is not a matter of public opinion or "mob rules". It is a matter of private property rights and constitutional law. If the only laws we have in place were only about the majority, certain minority groups would unfairly pay a price, not unlike private property owners and sportsmen who fund the conservation of public land are paying now.